Grand Prix 2024 Miami Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As the famous song goes, "Welcome to Miami," which is the next destination on Verstappen's seemingly unstoppable winning roadshow. Based on his comments following a very comfortable win in Shanghai, it appears that Miami will suit his car even better than Shanghai did. & it is another sprint race which isnt the worst thing as sprint part of chinese weekend was the most enjoyable part as the battles were fantastic but then weekends entertainment dramatically dropped off.

It is the 11th different F1 venue to host a sprint weekend. since they were introduced in 2021

1714746802305.png

Screenshot 2024-05-03 152044.png

Can anyone explain why Perez wasn’t penalised for his kamikaze move into the first corner?
  1. He almost hit his team-mate
  2. He forced the Ferraris to back off
  3. As he came back onto the track, he almost hit Norris (hence why Norris was down in 6th whilst Piastri was 3rd on that opening lap).

Can anyone explain why Perez wasn’t penalised for his kamikaze move into the first corner?
  1. He almost hit his team-mate
  2. He forced the Ferraris to back off
  3. As he came back onto the track, he almost hit Norris (hence why Norris was down in 6th whilst Piastri was 3rd on that opening lap).
well i know they have a lot more leniency in the 1st corner, as that was the stewards explanation as to why Hamilton was unpunished on saturday when i think we wouldve all given him a penalty. so i guess for consistency they cant give Perez for somehow avoiding everyone if hamilton didnt for ruining Norris & both Aston Martin's races

while we are on crashes, i very disappointed in sainz he made the Piastri thing personal & i felt it was deliberate when he stuck the back end out. for getting angry over the nothing incident down the back straight

also is it just me but i feel Magnussen was harshly treated on this incident. he was enough alongside to warrant some space, sergeant shouldve known he was alongside as they'd been fighting for a while, so why did he attempt to take the apex

1714988762563.png

Last edited:
F1Brits_90 - I get the impression that Magnussen is getting the Eddie Irvine 1994 treatment... He's done quite a lot of things to wind people up, so will get penalised for the tiniest incident.

(Irvine's 3 race ban in 1994, following the Verstappen/Brundle incident had far more to do with his driving at Suzuka the previous year than what he actually did to cause the accident - which I still think was Verstappen's fault)

After Verstappen was so magnanimous in defeat, the Red Bull team have ruined it, by making up a story that Verstappen's car was damaged by the run across the kerbs when he bit the bollard:

Norris was faster than the Red Bulls all weekend on the harder tyres - sprint qualifying showed that so explicitly - and he was the deserved winner of the race.

It would be such a shame if Verstappen decided to leave Red Bull, along with Newey, and the team found itself back to it's pre 2009 form.

After Verstappen was so magnanimous in defeat, the Red Bull team have ruined it, by making up a story that Verstappen's car was damaged by the run across the kerbs when he bit the bollard:

Norris was faster than the Red Bulls all weekend on the harder tyres - sprint qualifying showed that so explicitly - and he was the deserved winner of the race.

It would be such a shame if Verstappen decided to leave Red Bull, along with Newey, and the team found itself back to it's pre 2009 form.
this is awkward from red bull side of things as max doesn't agree 😄

Screenshot_20240506_211026_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Something that the race coverage failed to notice (or perhaps I just missed their mention of it) is yet another example of how Merc is dropping the ball—specifically, how they failed to take advantage of a situation that would almost certainly have allowed them to gain a place from 6th to 5th in the final race results. Certainly they had to have been aware when it was announced in the latter stage of the race that Sainz was under investigation for an incident with Piastri and that a final ruling probably wouldn’t occur until after the race. As with any knowledgeable F1 fan, Merc should have then known that if penalized, Sainz would probably be assessed a 5 sec. penalty post-race. I’m just a race fan but even I then immediately began monitoring Lewis’ gap to Sainz, expecting that Merc would inform him of this possibility so that he could work to keep his gap to Sainz under 5 sec. For lap after lap Lewis had been keeping within DRS range (i.e., less than one sec.) of Checo and it appeared certain that he could have done so for that final lap also—if he had (Checo had closed to within just over 3 sec. behind Sainz), he would have finished less than 5 sec. behind Sainz and thus would have moved up to 5th when Sainz was penalized (as it was, he missed out by only .178 sec.). However, it appears that Merc never informed Lewis of the potential penalty to Sainz. So, apparently without this knowledge, Lewis (having found after so many laps within DRS range of Checo that his Merc lacked the straight line speed to pass Checo’s RB) Lewis knew that he wouldn’t be able to pass Checo on that final lap and thus decided to ease up a bit to ensure that he didn’t throw away his 6th place finish. It seems obvious that had he known about the possible penalty Lewis would have instead kept pressing to keep his gap to Sainz under 5 sec. It also seems obvious that had Merc informed him about it, they would have been urging him to keep pressing and kept him informed of what his gap to Sainz was—however, the race coverage that I watched made no mention of any such radio messages being sent to Lewis. The TV race coverage crew is typically very good about reporting significant radio messages to their audience so I’m just assuming that Merc never did inform Lewis of this possible penalty situation. While it’s possible that Merc did inform Lewis and the TV crew just failed to report it, it’s of relevance to note here that I haven’t seen anything in the various post-race reporting that indicates that Merc had informed Lewis. Yes, it’s just a matter of two probable points missed. However, even the casual fan knows that in F1 you fight hard for every available point. To put it mildly, Merc (and most notably their cars) have been considerably less than stellar over the past three seasons!

Back
Top Bottom